Sunday, November 14, 2010


If you have a leader [in any environment] that is more concerned about his or her advancement, than the safety and security of  the team-- !wontuoteg
My !wontuoteg moment would have to have taken place while I was in the United States Marine Corps. I originally joined because of money for education so that I could maybe have a chance to go and finish a college degree. I decided to join as infantry, and during the process of it all I ended up loving the lifestyle. During my time in the Corps, I debated many times about whether to stay in or get out. I was good at my job as a machine gunner, and was good at gaining the respect from my peers. I picked up rank the fastest and was promoted first among my peers.
When we got back from Iraq the first time, all of seniors got out and I was promoted to section leader. This was a job that was two ranks above my pay grade. A promotion like this was an unheard accomplishment, and I enjoyed being in the position. I also received two Navy Achievement Medals for Leadership recognition.
Before we went to Iraq again, we got a change of leadership in our battalion (Clue #1). Just like any other institution, when new management comes in there is a severe change in leadership whether it is for the better or worse. Our old leader got promoted to colonel for performing his duties above and beyond his pay grade. The new "battalion commander" from the very start was egocentric to where he seemed he was always worried about being in the fight like it was a video game (Clue #2). When we went to Iraq again, every time a mission came up he wanted to put his Marines out there because they could handle the job. It didn't matter whether the mission was poorly put together, and that there was a severe lack of intelligence. We were put out time and time again, even when I, as well as, other officers voiced opposition against some of the missions (Clue #3).
As a Marine though, you do as you're told regardless of whether you know best or not. Over and over,  Marines were put in dangerous situations. but he [the battalion commander] was awarded his medals at the cost of some unneeded situations and harsh consequences for those situations. By the time we got back to the states, my First Sergeant, and other higher ups wanted me to re-enlist.  Instead, I signed up for school and applied for an early exit.  
That was my moment! It was time for me to "get out now."  If you have a leader [in any environment] that is more concerned about his or her advancement, than the safety and security of  his team-- !wontuoteg.

0 comments:

Post a Comment